What is the right way to display user location on map

Hello,

I am currently working on an app for a client. The concept is straightforward: the app allows users to view the location of other users on a map, even when they are not actively using the app. However, this feature is limited to a selected group of people, specifically those who have joined the same group as the user.

To achieve this, I collect location data in the background. The primary objective of this app is to connect users with nearby individuals who can assist them with tasks or jobs.

However, I encountered an issue during the app review process. The review team deemed it inappropriate for deployment because it displays users' locations on a map, without the necessary privacy safeguards in place. Nevertheless, the main purpose of the app is to allow users to be visible on the map, and people who download the app intend to be included in this display.

Here is the comment provided by the reviewer:

Your app enables the display of nearby users' locations on a map, but does not have the required privacy precautions in place.

Additionally, here is the specific requirement:

Require users to manually check-in each time they wish to have their location displayed on a map; there should be no option to enable automatic check-ins.

If I understand correctly, this means that users would be required to open the app in order to appear on the map. However, this contradicts the purpose of the app, as users prefer to be passively visible without actively opening the app.

On the other hand, I have noticed tracking apps like Life360 and others that provide similar functionalities. They display users' locations on a map in near-real-time. What am I missing to ensure the validity of my app? The reviewer mentioned being unable to provide any hints, so I am hopeful that someone here can assist me.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of ThomasMor Down vote post of ThomasMor

Replies

I'm not sure of the better forum for this question, but this one is for internationalization/localization, as in multiple languages.

• Indeed. I've changed the tags to remove Localization and add Maps and Location.

• My mistake, thanks to the both of you !

Add a Comment

Do you have news?