HealthKit on iPadOS 17 beta2 returns false with isHealthDataAvailable() method

I am running iPadOS 17 beta2 and experiencing an issue with the integration between a third-party app and the Health app. Specifically, I have noticed that the isHealthDataAvailable() method in HealthKit is returning false.

Additional Information:
・Device: iPad (6th generation) running iPadOS 17 beta2.
・Xcode: ver14.2.0

Expected Outcome:
・I expect the isHealthDataAvailable() method in HealthKit to return true. This would allow the third-party app to integrate with the Health app.

Additional Details:
・The third-party app successfully integrates with the Health app on iOS 17 beta2.
・The issue occurs regardless of whether the Health app is installed or uninstalled.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or solutions regarding this issue. Thank you for your assistance.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of h_ishikawa Down vote post of h_ishikawa
1.1k views

Replies

I'm seeing the same issue on some devices, both iPhones and iPads, running the production release of iOS/iPadOS 17.0.2.

I thought that perhaps this issue was only with [HKHealthStore isHealthDataAvailable], so as a test I tried bypassing that call and proceeding with the call to [healthStore requestAuthorizationToShareTypes:], wrapped in a try/catch block. The authorization check though just throws an exception indicating the same error, that "Health data is unavailable on this device", so internally, the auth request API is still calling [HKHealthStore isHealthDataAvailable].

The issue doesn't appear on all devices, most seem to work. I have customers with multiple devices and it will work on one but not the other; in some cases it's their iPhone that doesn't work, and in others it's their iPad running iPadOS 17.

I've tried going into the Health App to make sure I've gone through its initial setup in case that was the issue, but it had no effect.

The next step is to create a simple app that demonstrates the problem and submit that to Apple with a bug report, but I've done this in the past and waited years with no resolution or response from Apple.

Were you able to resolve the issue or have you discovered anything else?

Your app needs to be build against iOS 17 SDK in order for it to get true for isHealthDataAvailable. Older apps will continue to get false for backwards compatibility reasons. If you're still seeing false on iOS 17, please file a feedback with details and, if possible, a sample app. Thanks!

• I have some of these strange HealthKit incompatibility issues with iPad with iPadOS 17.0.3, too.

• Could you explain and/or file a feedback?

• I have an app that uses HealthKit. In Testflight it is possible to install it on iPhone but not on iPad (17.0.3). But I can install it from Xcode on iPad. In app store it offers to install on iPad, but if you do, there comes an alert saying that this is not compatible. It looks like there is in Testflight and in the installation process from app store some code that checks only if this is an iPad and says no and not if this is an device that can run apps that require HealthKit.