AudioDriverKit Sample Project Dext Not Running Properly

Hello,

I am trying to run a sample project from Apple's Developer Documentation that creates and interfaces with a DriverKit Dext. The project can be found here: Creating an Audio Device Driver.

I have followed all the steps in the README.md file: downloading the code, enabling automatic signing, building the app, moving it to the Applications folder, and launching it. I then open the app, press "Install Dext", enable it through System Preferences, and receive the message "SoundboardDriver has been activated and is ready to use."

However, the audio device does not appear in the MIDI app, there is no mention of it in the IORegistry, and I get the message “Driver extension is not running” when I try to press "Open User Client".

Is there another step I need to follow to get the app running? Perhaps it's an entitlement issue?

I don't see any error/fault message in the console app relating to the app or driver.

I am running MacOS 13.4.1 (22F82) and Xcode 14.3.1 (14E300c). I have tried with and without SIP enabled, but the issue persists.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best, Henry

Replies

Hi,

I also had quite a time to get this sample running. Perhaps this thread helps:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/726576

In addition I had to learn that AudioDriverKit currently doesn't support virtual audio drivers. Well ... it seems to work but you will not be given the required entitlements. I still try to figure out whether this will be possible in the (near) future as I think AudioDriverKit is much better than the Audio Server Plugin API and currently my virtual driver seems to run fine here on my development machine with SIP off etc.

Best, Johannes