Can UWB replace GPS indoor?

Hi I'm working for KT mobile telecom company in South Korea

I am planning a proposal for  'Wireless Quality Measurement Using UWB Technology'.

Currently, KT is automating measurement using GPS in the case of road quality measurement in wireless quality. However, in the case of indoor quality, due to the limitations of GPS, we are measuring  wireless quality  by walikg around with measuring device

As far as I know, UWB technology is capable of accurate positioning by calculating the arrival time of radio wave. Can UWB technology act as an indoor GPS?

1. If possible, how many antennas should be installed every few meters to receive signals from smartphones?

(In the case of KT, I am thinking of using Wi-Fi or radio unit  installed in the facility.)

3.What are the restrictions?

Thank you.

Replies

The range between UWB devices varies based on several factors, such as the device model, its orientation, and the presence of obstacles, among others. For instance, Apple iPhones equipped with the U1 chip (from iPhone 11 to iPhone 14) can comfortably communicate with UWB Beacons located 20-40 meters away. This distance can serve as a guideline for the radius within which you might place a UWB beacon. You can use many UWB beacons to triangulate.

The iPhone 15 features a new, second-generation UWB chip, which potentially doubles or even surpasses the range of its predecessors when interacting with compatible UWB chips.