macOS Sonoma undocumentedly changed how SFAuthorizationPluginView works

Hi,

I have experienced undocumented changes in the behavior of SFAuthorizationPluginView and Authorization Plug-ins while testing our Auth Plugin under macOS Sonoma Beta 3 (latest seed as of today).

Prerequisites:

• macOS Sonoma Beta 3
  • Settings > Lock Screen > Login window shows: List of Users

Note: it is visible the login screen changed in behavior, this can be noticed even without the installation of any authorization plugin. There is now a default selected user with the password field always visible. Up until Ventura, a user had to be picked manually first to then open up their login password textfield.

After logout I noticed that the order of delegate methods have changed.

Previously, until macOS Ventura the order of methods seemed to be:

displayView() --> viewForType() --> view.viewDidLoad() --> willActivateWithUser() --> firstResponder --> didActivate()

where view is my custom NSViewController.view embedded in the SFAuthorizationPluginView. viewDidLoad is called because my implementation of viewForType returns view - which in turn should call loadView() based on documentation for NSViewController.view:

If this property’s value is not already set when you access it, the view controller invokes the loadView() method.

Now it seems that the order has changed:

displayView() --> didActivate() --> firstResponder

This means that viewForType(), willActivateWithUser() are not called. And then my console application crash log shows that the application crashed at firstResponder, probably because view.viewDidLoad() is not called for my view due to viewForType() not being called either.

Has anyone met a similar issue? This really seems like an undocumented change.

• macOS Ventura 13.3, plugin built with XCode 14.3.1 -> our app works
  • macOS Sonoma 14.0 Beta3, plugin built with XCode 14.3.1 -> our app does not work
  • macOS Sonoma 14.0 Beta3, plugin built with XCode 15.0 Beta4 -> our app does not work

P.S.: I do see methods new in macOS Sonoma appeared for NSViewController, like loadViewIfNeeded - but sadly these new methods have zero documentation attached.

P.S #2: I have checked with a minimal repro example, and the order has indeed changed. When the view does not have to be loaded via an NSViewController, i can see the full new order:

displayView() --> didActivate() --> firstResponder --> viewForType() --> willActivateWithUser() --> didActivate() (called twice??) --> firstResponder --> firstResponder

This above order of calls is without a single user interaction, just logging out (or using security authorize -u system.login.console from the terminal)

Replies

my console application crash log shows that the application crashed at firstResponder, probably because view.viewDidLoad() is not called for my view due to viewForType() not being called either.

If things have change in a way that’s crashing your existing product, I strongly recommend that you file a bug about that.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Hi Quinn! Thank you for your fast response! I have created a bug ticket as you've suggested. (FB12765973) I assume due to previous communications you have no way to make sure this is looked at by the team responsible for Login Window - but I wouldn't do my duty if I didn't ask. :D I'd really prefer not to have to distribute a new version on day 1 just to fix this issue because it really doesn't make sense to call firstResponder before the view is ever requested from my plugin. :(

Add a Comment