iOS 17 Beta Breaks activityBackgroundTint(_:) on Live Activities

There's an issue in the iOS 17 beta where passing nil to activityBackgroundTint(_:) does not use the system's default background material as expected. Instead, it's showing a solid black color instead of the correct tint that matches the rest of the system in iOS 16.

Replies

What should I do? Six days ago, I submitted both feedback in Feedback Assistant as well as a Technical Support Incident (TSI), but I haven't received a reply to either.

• And now there are 6 days to go for the RC, this still isn't fixed.

Add a Comment

Have you solved it? I have the same problem

Same here. Hope some one can solve this. 🙏

Same issue here on the release candidate

Same issue here on the release candidate. Blake, have you heard back on your TSI?

• Yes, DTS said that this change is intended and by design. Don't ask me why they chose to change the default background to black... some of Apple's own Live Activities (e.g. Check In) still use the notifications background material like in iOS 16 (as they should... imo it looks better). As a workaround, I decided to add my own background image instead, and I'm using .activityBackgroundTint(.black.opacity(0.4)) since it looks like the default dark mode background material.

Add a Comment

Just as a quick follow up, I was able to get transparency to match the system by doing

.activityBackgroundTint(.black.opacity(0.4))

However, it's still stuck in dark mode

Add a Comment

Yeah I had to just default to dark mode too, which is a shame, but at least we have our transparency back

The Environment(\.colorScheme) is broken. Always in dark mode.

FB12765484 https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/734615

.activityBackgroundTint(Color.clear)

work for me

iOS 17.1 beta 2/3 has actually made this problem worse.

@Environment(\.colorScheme) var colorScheme

Always returns light mode. Attempting to use

UIColor { traitCollection in
    traitCollection == .light ? .white : .black
}

is again always white. Color(uiColor: UIColor.systemBackground) is also always white. So everything adapts properly until you actually try to write code to modify it. I can't figure out anyway to make the background transparent without it getting stuck in light mode. .clear as the color works in dark mode, but makes the text illegible in light mode.

Add a Comment

any solution?