Find the name of a CNContact's group (CNGroupName)

So I only recently uncovered the Contacts Framework through this video: https://youtu.be/sHKir2ZMk5Q. As such I'm not yet accustomed to the API. Basically my main problem is that I can't seem to find a way to access the name of the group a CNContact is in. The only support I can find is in Apple's own documentation, which isn't very helpful. if someone could point me in the right direction towards how to print the group name, I would be very grateful. My code is below, Cheers

//  ModelData.swift
//  B-Day

import Foundation
import Contacts
import SwiftUI

struct Contact: Identifiable {
     let id = UUID()
     let category: String
     let firstName: String
     let lastName: String
     let birthday: DateComponents?
 }

func fetchAllContacts() async -> [Contact] {

var contacts = [Contact]()

let store = CNContactStore()

let keys = [CNContactGivenNameKey, CNContactFamilyNameKey, CNContactBirthdayKey, CNContactIdentifierKey, CNGroupNameKey] as [CNKeyDescriptor]

let fetchRequest = CNContactFetchRequest (keysToFetch: keys)

do {
        try store.enumerateContacts(with: fetchRequest, usingBlock: { contact, result in

//this should print the name of the contact's group
            print(contact.groupName)

contacts.append(Contact(category: contact.groupName, firstName: contact.givenName, lastName: contact.familyName, birthday: contact.birthday))
        })
    }
    catch {
        print("Error")
    }

return contacts
}

Accepted Reply

Fetching the group associated with a contact involves many steps as described below. Note that a contact may belong to one or more groups.

1. Fetch all groups using groups(matching:) with the predicate set to nil.
  2. Iterate through all the fetched groups.
  3. Find all contacts associated with each group using predicateForContactsInGroup(withIdentifier:).
  4. Compare each fetched contact to the contact that you are looking for. If there is a match, then the associated group is the one that you are looking for.
  5. Use the name property to fetch the name of the group.

Replies

Fetching the group associated with a contact involves many steps as described below. Note that a contact may belong to one or more groups.

1. Fetch all groups using groups(matching:) with the predicate set to nil.
  2. Iterate through all the fetched groups.
  3. Find all contacts associated with each group using predicateForContactsInGroup(withIdentifier:).
  4. Compare each fetched contact to the contact that you are looking for. If there is a match, then the associated group is the one that you are looking for.
  5. Use the name property to fetch the name of the group.