unable to sign an notarize with quill

i'm using quill 0.2.0 to sign and notarize an arm64 binary and I've been getting HTTP 400 error from the notarization server. Signing and notarization has worked without hiccups throughout this year, but last night after getting the error it ended up working without any changes to the certs or call to quill.

This morning started getting the error again and only 1 of the 2 binaries were able to be signed with retries. Still getting this error on 1:

<HTML><HEAD>\n<TITLE>Bad Request</TITLE>\n</HEAD><BODY>\n<H1>Bad Request</H1>\nYour browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<P>\nReference&#32;&#35;7&#46;4c822c17&#46;1692969095&#46;ec8f4c4b\n</BODY>\n</HTML>\n

Is there a change being rolled out for the apple notarization service that requires a change on the client end? Or should this really be an http 500 error?

• I had the same issue as well while trying to notarize. however after couple of tries it went through.

My app is currently not working in Production on the new MAC OS - Ventura and BigSur but works on old Mac OS - We are at a loss of words for the Apple support as it takes 1-2 business days to respond back while all of our users are unable to access the app

Add a Comment

Replies

In situations like this I recommend that you try signing and notarising with Apple tools:

• If the Apple tools fail, you can escalate that via an Apple support channel.

• If the Apple tools still work but your third-party tools fail, you can escalate that via its support channel.

In the case of an Apple source tool like this, there is likely no support channel. However, you have the source code and you can dig into that to find out what’s going wrong. If you get to the point where it calls an Apple API in a way that seems correct, that’s something we can help you with.

Is there a change being rolled out for the apple notarization service that requires a change on the client end?

I presume that this tool is based on the Notary API. If so, I’m not aware of any recent changes in that API. As with all such API problems, it’s possible that something is broken at our end, but it’s also possible that your client is calling it incorrectly and our implementation has changed to notice that.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"