Cannot change title text color in MacOS popup buttons

I am having a problem configuring popup buttons for a macOS application, using the Interface Builder mechanisms of Xcode (14.3.1). I am prepared to report the issue as a bug, but I thought I would check here to see if I had overlooked something in my configuration efforts:

Briefly, I wish to have a popup button in my app's main window (not in the menu bar), that has a bezel color of "System Orange Color" and that uses white lettering for its title.

My app has a lot of buttons, and for all the other button types I have used, when I set the bezel color to System Orange or to some similarly dark-ish color, the title lettering automagically comes up white. That of course also happens for the popup buttons that are part of the menu bar -- their titles have white lettering -- but when I place a popup button in the main window of my app, its title comes up with black letters no matter what I do.

This is solely an aesthetic problem -- the popup button works perfectly well, it just looks out of place because its lettering doesn't match the other buttons.

The misbehaving popup button is configured via Xcode only -- no commands sent from code. Its Xcode configuration settings include Pull Down, No Arrow, Bevel, Momentary Push In, System Orange Color, System Regular (font), and No Image.