DriverKit Support on USB-C iPhones

Hi @eskimo! With the introduction of USB-C ports on the newest iPhones, will there be any support for DriverKit (or USBSerialDriverKit 🤞) similar to the USB-C iPads?

We are wanting to enable serial communication with a custom USB peripheral via the new USB-C port. Is this (or will this) be possible in any manor?

Additionally, will this require MFi certification?

Thanks!

• Any news from Apple?

• Same deal. I need to support custom hardware via USB-C and serial communication. We are currently trying to figure out the iPad (started three days ago; slow going), the iPhone is next on the list.

Add a Comment

Replies

Did anybody test it?

i have have the same issue! did you get your answer?

Hello, We asked Apple if it is possible to use our iPad USBDriverKit driver on the iPhone 15, and they told us that it is not supported.

• I guess this is what makes iPadOS and iOS two different animals. Unfortunate.

Add a Comment

Tried to install my driver on iphone 15 - got an error 😢

-[MIInstallableBundle _installEmbeddedProfilesWithError:]: 229: Failed to install Mac-style embedded profile for com.example.bundle : 0xe8008012 (This provisioning profile cannot be installed on this device.)

Tried driverKit, usbSerialDriverKit,.. but got error " does not support iOS" :( Does any one have any solution?

+1 to this request. Now that we have USB-C, this would make a big difference in enabling addiitonal Pro experiences on iOS, for example to connect to networking, radio or other control-over-serial equipment.

I have seen this exists: https://redpark.com/usb-c-serial-cable/ but is limited to using the Redpark Serial SDK and to Apps deployed via Apple Business Manager and Apple School Manager. To me, it seems it would help the wider ecosystem to enable serial support overall and consistently between iPhones and iPads.

Please open an enhancement feedback request with Apple. The glaring omission of IOUSBHost and/or USBDriverKit is a huge gap for a lot of cool solutions w/ custom USB hardware.