How to support foregroundColor (deprecated) and foregroundStyle in watchOS 9/10?

In my Watch app on watchOS 9 I was using .foregroundColor(myColour) to colour the text in a widgetLabel on a corner complication like this:

let myColour: Color = functionThatReturnsAColorObjectConstructedLike Color.init(...) // green
.widgetLabel {
    Text(myText)
        .foregroundColor(myColour)
}

It worked fine; the widget label was green.

Now, in watchOS 10, I see that foregroundColor() is being deprecated in favour of foregroundStyle(), and I can use .foregroundStyle(.green), and - importantly - foregroundStyle() is only available on watchOS 10 and newer.

myColour is calculated depending on some other info, so I can't just write .green, and when I use .foregroundStyle(myColour) the widget label comes out as white every time, even if I set myColour = .green.

I think I have to use some sort of extension to pick the right combination, something like:

extension View {
	func foregroundType(colour: Colour, style: any ShapeStyle) -> some THING? {
		if #available(watchOS 10.0, *) {
			return foregroundStyle(style)
		} else {
			return foregroundColor(colour)
		}
	}
}

// Usage
let myStyle: any ShapeStyle = SOMETHING?
.widgetLabel {
    Text(myText)
        .foregroundType(colour: myColour, style: myStyle)

It doesn't work. I just can't figure out what should be returned, nor how to return it. Any ideas?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of darkpaw Down vote post of darkpaw
1.2k views

Replies

Right, it's pretty clear to me now that you cannot use .foregroundStyle(/* any colour */) in a corner complication.

myColour is the result of some calculations in a function, but the effect is to return a Color object of .red, .green, or .yellow.

In this example it's returning .red. Here's what happens when I use foregroundColor(myColour):

.widgetLabel {
		Text("New York")
				.foregroundColor(myColour)

This works correctly.

Now, when I use foregroundStyle(myColour):

.widgetLabel {
		Text("New York")
				.foregroundStyle(myColour)

The text is white, not red.

And now, when I use foregroundStyle(.green):

.widgetLabel {
		Text("New York")
				.foregroundStyle(.green)

The text is white, not green.

I've tried a simple example in a new project just in a standard view, not in a complication's widgetLabel:

Text("Hello, world!")
		.foregroundStyle(.green)

It works fine.

It appears that you cannot use .foregroundStyle() on a Text object within a widgetLabel.

I've also tried these in a corner complication, just removing the complexity of adding a Text object:

// 1
.widgetLabel("Hello, world!")
		.foregroundStyle(.green)

// 2
.widgetLabel("Hello, world!")
		.foregroundColor(.green)

Both of these result in the label being white.

So, either I've thoroughly misunderstood this - what should be an incredibly simple thing - or this is a bug. Apple are deprecating foregroundColor() with a broken alternative.

Happy to be proven wrong.