.md support broken on MacOS

After I uninstalled Xcode and its CLI tools from my MacBook (Intel based, Ventura 13.5.2) the operating system seems to have forgotten how to handle Markdown files. I can still open them using VSCode or TextEdit but when I preview them using space they just show the file icon. My major issue with this is that I am using shortcuts to interact with them. They also stopped working on my MacBook exclusively. On both iPad and iPhone they still work. I appreciate any ideas on how to resolve this issue.

Accepted Reply

Only solution I found working for me was to reinstall the Xcode App. This fixed the problem. Also I did find that the default behavior on a machine without Xcode ever installed is the same as when I uninstalled it. If someone knows what dependency is responsible and knows a workaround that works without installing Xcode please feel free to include that here. I will mark this thread as resolved though.

Replies

Only solution I found working for me was to reinstall the Xcode App. This fixed the problem. Also I did find that the default behavior on a machine without Xcode ever installed is the same as when I uninstalled it. If someone knows what dependency is responsible and knows a workaround that works without installing Xcode please feel free to include that here. I will mark this thread as resolved though.