Xcode Source Editor Extensions & Sandbox

Hi,

I'm working on an Xcode Source Editor Extension. Currently, I have App Sandbox enabled and everything works as expected.

I have some features I'd like to add that would require me to disable the App Sandbox and release the extension and containing app outside of the App Store.

However, whenever I remove the App Sandbox capability from my project and re-run the extension, I can no longer see my extension appear in the Editor menu - it's just gone.

My question is - are Xcode Source Editor Extensions only limited to sandboxed environments or can they operate out of the sandbox? If so, how come I don't see it in Xcode 15?

Replies

can they operate out of the sandbox?

No. In general, all app extensions must be sandboxed and that’s true for Xcode source editor extensions as well.

However, if you’re distributing your product outside of the Mac App Store, you can use temporary exception entitlements to bypass most sandbox restrictions.

See App Sandbox Resources for links to the temporary exception entitlements documentation. See this post for more context on them.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• I'm trying to integrate Chat GPT into my IDE because i heard it was possible

Add a Comment