Check whether there has been any iOS SDK framework or program that support developing a custom driver for our own hardware device via USB type C port (after the release of the new iPhone 15 with type C port supported)

I'd like to check whether there has been (or there will be) any iOS SDK framework or program that support developing a custom driver for our own hardware device via USB type C port, especially after the release of the new iPhone 15 with type C port supported.

In addition, I'd like to understand how the app review process will work if we're releasing a Crypto Wallet application that utilizes the cold wallet hardware device, will it be necessary for us to send a set of hardware over to the Apple review team, or the app review can be arranged without the actual device?

Replies

I don’t have any answers for you on the driver side of things.

Regarding this:

In addition, I'd like to understand how the app review process will work

I recommend that you start a new thread and tag it with App Review. Folks who know about App Review are unlikely to be reading a thread tagged with these tags.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Earlier I wrote

I don’t have any answers for you on the driver side of things.

I asked around and my new understanding is that the DriverKit USB-C support is for iPad only.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Conclusion: iOS 17, with iPhone 15 Pro Max, does not support DriverKit drivers.

More info:

I published an updated and fixed example project that works to install and use a DriverKit driver for both macOS and iPadOS.

I created a new branch and added iOS as a supported destination, but it did not work the same as it did on iPad.

You don't have any control over driver installation on iPad, you simply enable iPad as a destination, setup a settings bundle, and iPadOS finds, installs, and surfaces the switch to enable your driver in your application's settings at the iOS level. That process does not happen on iOS, see the images for the iPad settings bundle, and then iOS-- it is simply missing on iPhone.

https://github.com/DanBurkhardt/DriverKitUserClientSample/tree/ios-support-testing

Even if you successfully compile and run a target that embeds a working DriverKit driver to your iPhone, the driver will never be seen or installed upon app installation by the system (as of Oct 2023, iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17).

(iOS, no driver setting)

(iPadOS, driver setting toggle enabled)