Audio Workgroups and Mach Ports - Access Violation

I'm battling with Audio Workgroups on macOS. I've got it working for Standalone apps, getting the workgroup from the HAL/Device, and for AUv2/AUv3 plugins. I can verify that my plugin/app's processing threads are executing together with the main workgroup thread, using P-cores. So far so good!

Now, I'm trying to get this working over IPC with my ***** app. From the documentation, I figured that I can get the mach port from the main audio workgroup (in my Audio Unit) using the os_workgroup_copy_port call. Then I pass this port over IPC to my ***** process, where I want to create a new workgroup from this mach port (which should be slaved to the master workgroup), using the os_workgroup_create_with_port call.

However, when doing this, I get an access violation error in my external process.

In my test case, I'm hosting an AUv2 in the AUXPC_arrow process (with Logic), and sending the mach port id over to my ***** App, which is also signed with the appropriate entitlements for accessing mach ports (I think): com.apple.security.temporary-exception.mach-lookup.global-name

Now, the question is, should this automagically allow me to use a mach port owned by the AUXPC process? Does that process ALSO have to use some specific entitlement? I of course cannot change the entitlements of Apple's bundles.

Many thanks for any assistance.