Security Certificate for an Electron app?

I've built an app in Electron. I am in the process of preparing to release the app on my website as a free download. Since the app is free, I'm not really looking to spend a ton of money on security certificates. I can get the app to work on Windows by clicking through the Windows Defender, but I cannot run it at all on Mac even after disabling Gatekeeper.

So my question is... Is it possible for me to get a certificate for my Electron app through the apple developer program. Keep in mind I have never touched the apple developer ecosystem.

Avoiding subscriptions for this app's security certificates is what I am looking for. As that is all I have seen as options online so far. Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

There are three ways to get past Gatekeeper:

• Distribute using the Mac App Store

• Distribute directly, using Developer ID signing

• Have your users jump through hoops, as described in Safely open apps on your Mac

The first two require that you be a member of a paid team in the developer programme.

Note that Developer ID signed apps don’t expire. Gatekeeper checks whether they were valid at the time of signing.

If you’re a fan of web technologies, it might just be easier for you to build a web app. Web apps don’t require programme membership and are pretty darned capable. Notably, in macOS 17 we allow users to add web apps to the Dock. See WWDC 2023 Session 10120 What’s new in web apps for the details.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"