Do I have to use a Swift or Xcode Playground

The Swift challenge page mentions playgrounds in both Swift Playgrounds and Xcode. Do I have to use an app playground or can I instead use an app project in Xcode? I feel more comfortable working with an Xcode project. Is it possible to convert my project to a .swiftpm file later?

Thanks

Accepted Reply

Do I have to use an app playground … ?

The public doc is pretty clear about this:

For your submission to the Swift Student Challenge, you’ll submit a playground with an interactive scene that can be experienced within three minutes.

[The emphasis is mine.]

I feel more comfortable working with an Xcode project.

You and me both (-:

Is it possible to convert my project to a .swiftpm file later?

I don’t think there’s an automated way to do that, but they use the same code and resources so you could do it yourself. However, I have one word of caution: Xcode projects are much more flexible than Swift playgrounds, so make sure you don’t take a dependency on some Xcode feature that you can’t ‘port over’ to your playground.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Replies

Do I have to use an app playground … ?

The public doc is pretty clear about this:

For your submission to the Swift Student Challenge, you’ll submit a playground with an interactive scene that can be experienced within three minutes.

[The emphasis is mine.]

I feel more comfortable working with an Xcode project.

You and me both (-:

Is it possible to convert my project to a .swiftpm file later?

I don’t think there’s an automated way to do that, but they use the same code and resources so you could do it yourself. However, I have one word of caution: Xcode projects are much more flexible than Swift playgrounds, so make sure you don’t take a dependency on some Xcode feature that you can’t ‘port over’ to your playground.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"