Localization of CFBundleDisplayName in English (Canada)

I am currently facing a problem where I want to localize the application's CFBundleDisplayName in Canadian English (amongst other languages and regions). It works well for all other use cases, including Canadian French. However for Canadian English, the app's name is just displayed in the main English localization (en).

To find out what is wrong, I set up a totally empty project and only localized the name - it doesn't work. I changed the type of localization from Strings file (legacy) to String catalog, same error. I summarized everything in this screenshot:

I've spent so much time already and still can't figure out what is happening. Can someone maybe quickly create a new project with the two localizations like in my screenshot and report if the same problem exists for English (Canada)?

TLDR: Localization of CFBundleDisplayName works for fr-CA but not for en-CA, problem exists even in minimal reproducible example (empty project with CFBundleDisplayName localization)

• I am also facing same issue.but I am wondering how come it was working on earlier iOS versions. I started facing this only after ios 16.0.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

There is a known limitation currently where app names can only be displayed on the Home Screen or App Switcher in one of the ~40 iPhone languages.
en-CA isn’t currently one of them.

Feedback Assistant can help you request an improvement. If you do so, you can share the FB number here with us.

• Thank you for your answer! I used Feedback Assistant to request an improvement, the FB number is FB13467531.

• I am also facing same issue.but I am wondering how come it was working on earlier iOS versions. I started facing this only after ios 16.0.

• @Frameworks Engineer, you can select English (Canada) in the device settings. You're telling me that only the Home Screen and App Switcher don't support certain languages? My app's name requires a different spelling in Canada. Are you telling me due to this limitation, my app is just going to be spelled wrong in Canada? Is there some kind of workaround?

Add a Comment

Replies

There is a known limitation currently where app names can only be displayed on the Home Screen or App Switcher in one of the ~40 iPhone languages.
en-CA isn’t currently one of them.

Feedback Assistant can help you request an improvement. If you do so, you can share the FB number here with us.

• Thank you for your answer! I used Feedback Assistant to request an improvement, the FB number is FB13467531.

• @Frameworks Engineer, you can select English (Canada) in the device settings. You're telling me that only the Home Screen and App Switcher don't support certain languages? My app's name requires a different spelling in Canada. Are you telling me due to this limitation, my app is just going to be spelled wrong in Canada? Is there some kind of workaround?

Add a Comment