OSLog Line Numbers & Source File Only Shown On Mouse Hover in Tiny Text?

For awhile I've wrapped OSLog in my own macros to include the line number and source file the logging statement originates from in debug mode because OSLog didn't include that info in console output (until recently).

Now I noticed the source code file and line number of the logging statement isn't being shown (I have all the metadata switches turned on in Xcode's console "Metadata Options" popover). Then I realized it is being shown, only on mouse hover over the logging statement in very tiny text.

The text is barely readable (on mouse hover). Why would viewing the line number require me to move the mouse cursor over a logging statement? It doesn't look pretty at all (hiding information behind mouse hover) and even if it did look pretty, this is the console for programmers and we don't care about such nonsense.

Replies

Why would viewing the line number require me to move the mouse cursor over a logging statement?

We can’t really answer why questions here on DevForums. See tip 3 in Quinn’s Top Ten DevForums Tips.

However, if you want to see this change I encourage you to file a bug against that UI.

Please post your bug number, just for the record (and so that I can add my own thoughts to it :-).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"