Safari 17 blocking my JavaScript SDK completely in Private Browsing Mode

Hi Safari team,

I am a product manager working for a large content recommendation company. Our JavaScriot SDK is running on more than 9000 leading publishers worldwide and has been certified to be aligned with global legal and privacy regulations and guidelines.

We have the following problem:

• Since the launch of Safari 17 (in iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS) - we can see our JavaScript SDK blocked when the user uses the private browsing mode
  • Safari 17 sometimes identifies our loading and rendering JavaSctipt files as any request/action by our domain to be a tracking activity (we see the JavaScript files in the console tagged with “Blocked connection to known tracker” log)
  • In previous Safari versions, we only got the tracking functionality blocked, allowing our content to render

We have the following questions:

• Can JavaScript running in Safari detect the user has the privacy mode turned on?
  • Was there something specific in Safari 17 “Tracking Protection” functionality that now blocks content rendering on the page in addition to tracking activity?

Context:

• We can run our JavaScript without performing any form of tracking, either directly by my domain or any other 3rd party vendor we are working with.
  • We will render our content without performing any form of tracking or fingerprinting
  • We are already following Apple’s iOS IDFA guidelines. Our iOS SDK, for example, detects and respects when the user opts out from sharing the IDFA on an iOS app running our code. In that case, we show our content without breaching the App Tracking Transparency framework rules.
  • Besides sponsored content, our JavaScript SDK also powers organic recommendations for our clients. With Safari 17 blocking anything in private browsing mode, we see unfair interference with organic engagement.

Please let us know if you provide guidance to allow our JavaScript SDK to render content when the user uses the private browsing mode, adhering to the privacy requirements.

Thank you for helping! Omri.