Enable App Sandbox for Submission to App Store

Is setting "Enable App Sandbox : Yes" required for distributing an app to the App Store?

I'm building my first app, a game, and can only test on my physical device with the Sandbox set to No. I can run it on the emulators with Sandboxing enabled.

I'm still using the free developer account and will be enrolling in the paid account once 2024 arrives.

Accepted Reply

Is setting "Enable App Sandbox : Yes" required for distributing an app to the App Store?

The App Sandbox is a macOS thing. The Mac App Store requires that all apps opt in to the App Sandbox.

can only test on my physical device

That makes it sound like you’re targeting iOS. In that case you don’t need to explicitly enable sandboxing. All iOS run in a sandbox [1]. Furthermore, you can’t enable the App Sandbox on an iOS app because it only applies to macOS.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] This is not the same as the App Sandbox on macOS, but it’s conceptually very similar.

Replies

The App Sandbox is a macOS thing. The Mac App Store requires that all apps opt in to the App Sandbox.

can only test on my physical device

That makes it sound like you’re targeting iOS. In that case you don’t need to explicitly enable sandboxing. All iOS run in a sandbox [1]. Furthermore, you can’t enable the App Sandbox on an iOS app because it only applies to macOS.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] This is not the same as the App Sandbox on macOS, but it’s conceptually very similar.

Thank you. It seems obvious now, but after days of googling it wasn’t. the ‚Enable App Sandbox : Yes‘ does not apply to iOS. It‘s needed for macOS apps.

I was stuck at level 1, but am now turned up to 11.