Enhancing 3rd Party Alarm Clock Apps on iOS: A Call for More Flexibility and User Control

Hello Apple Community,

I am writing to discuss a limitation I’ve encountered with third-party alarm clock apps on iOS. As it stands, these apps are unable to function like the native Clock app, primarily due to the restrictions imposed by the operating system.

Currently, third-party alarm apps rely on standard local notifications, which fire once and then cease. This means that if a user misses the initial notification, there’s no backup mechanism to ensure they are alerted. This is a significant drawback for users who rely on these apps to manage their time effectively.

Moreover, some apps have found a workaround by playing a silent sound in the background to keep the app active. However, this method is not only against Apple’s guidelines but also drains the device’s battery life.

I propose that Apple consider allowing third-party apps to push notifications from the background in an alarm style, with clear permissions granted by the user. This would enable users to clearly define acceptable notifications and specify an alarm-like display, providing a more personalized and effective alarm experience.

By implementing this change, Apple could greatly enhance the functionality and user-friendliness of third-party alarm clock apps, ultimately benefiting the end-users and developers alike.

Because this alarm feature is so important for productivity and quick responses to critical events or triggers I'm trying to see how some concepts could be reimagined if we had a little more flexibility.

Apple iOS has a feature called StandBy mode that activates when an iPhone is charging and positioned on its side. This feature can be thought of as a kind of smart display for your iPhone that offers fast access to different screens of glanceable information.

Always-On Display: StandBy mode can keep the display on even when the phone is locked, which is useful for an alarm app. Users can glance at the time without having to unlock their phone w/ Low-Light Adaptation

Customizable Screens: StandBy mode consists of screens that can be accessed by swiping horizontally on your iPhone’s display. This could allow an alarm app to display additional information, such as route, or weather warnings.

Interactive Widgets: The widget screen in StandBy mode is interactive and customizable.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.

Best regards, Phil Cutting