UWB(Nearby Interaction) Distance Measurement

Hello,

I have a question regarding the UWB (Nearby Interaction) distance measurement feature.

When testing with the iPhone 14 and UWB devices (DWM3000, DW3210, NXP SR040, SR150), measurements are possible up to 5-10 meters in an indoor environment without obstacles.

However, when the UWB device is inside a car, distance measurement is possible only up to about 2-3 meters from outside the car.

Based on these tests, Nearby Interaction seems to be a feature designed for close-range (visually perceptible distances, around 4 meters or so). It appears that the distance range for utilizing Nearby Interaction is somewhat limited.

Do you have any data on the maximum distance range for UWB distance measurement with an iPhone?

Replies

Generally, the distance between two UWB devices can be quite long, such as 50 meters, 70 meters, or even 100 meters. This distance can vary based on factors like the antenna's design, its orientation, and any physical barriers in the environment.

For instance, when using UWB ranging with the Nearby Interactions on an iPhone 12 Pro Max and Estimote UWB Beacons (DW3000) we can easily achieve a range of 30-40 meters.

However, Apple has made UWB technology part of its "Nearby" Interactions API, suggesting that they envision its use primarily for shorter distances. It seems this technology is aimed at applications like unlocking a smart bike lock or opening a smart door lock that are all nearby, etc.

It's also worth noting that the iPhone 15 introduces a new, second-generation UWB chip that is expected to have 3x the range when used with other second-generation UWB devices.

请问专家,您是如何实现DW3000和苹果手机的定位和测距的?我需要下载哪些工具?具体操作方法啊,有没有操作步骤请告诉我,谢谢

May I ask experts, how do you realize the positioning and ranging of DW3000 and Apple mobile phone? What tools do I need to download? How to operate the specific ah, is there any operation steps please tell me, thank you

Loechn,

The integration process with the DW3000 device and an Apple mobile phone app greatly depends on the specific DW3000 device you're planning to use. If it's a module, you might consider reaching out to the module manufacturer for code snippets or configuration details. This is because each UWB chip manufacturer may have unique FiRa-compatible configuration details that are compatible with Apple's UWB-enabled products.

Additionally, you can search for UWB on GitHub, where you might find project samples related to DW3000 or other UWB devices, including beacons and tags, among others.