XCode swift assistant editor

I have started a course on IOS app development. I learnt about basic stuff about the interface like how to add buttons and constraints and stuff. Now I need to add the function to the button in the assistant editor. But it does not let me edit, delete or type anything with it. First I thought i opened the wrong editor but I even tried a shortcut ( control + option + command + return ) and it opens the same editor. I have been stuck on this for the past week. Please suggest :)

Accepted Reply

What is the course you are following?

Above the source code editor on the right side are a set of buttons with small icons. Clicking the button with the stack of horizontal lines lets you open the assistant editor.

Choose Assistant to open the assistant editor.

If that doesn't do what you need, clicking the button with the + sign in the screenshot (the right button in the group of three at the top left of the screenshot) opens another editor view. That should let you see both the storyboard and the source code file at the same time.

If that doesn't work, you are going to have provide more details on what you are trying to do.

Replies

What is the course you are following?

Above the source code editor on the right side are a set of buttons with small icons. Clicking the button with the stack of horizontal lines lets you open the assistant editor.

Choose Assistant to open the assistant editor.

If that doesn't do what you need, clicking the button with the + sign in the screenshot (the right button in the group of three at the top left of the screenshot) opens another editor view. That should let you see both the storyboard and the source code file at the same time.

If that doesn't work, you are going to have provide more details on what you are trying to do.

Im sorry, there was a bug and the question is not solved. Im doing exactly what you said. the editor opens but doesnt let me edit anything or remove it or add anything

heres the screenshot

Im doing exactly what you said

You did the first part of what I said, opening the assistant editor. That didn't work, as you get the header file for Apple's UIViewController class instead of the source code for your view controller. You didn't do the second part of what I said, opening a new editor view.

Open a new editor view by clicking the rightmost button in the upper right corner of your screenshot, the button with a + sign in it. That will open a second view of the storyboard in Xcode.

Above the storyboard in your screenshot is a jump bar that lets you jump to any file in your project. If you click the leftmost item in the jump bar, you will open a menu that will let you navigate through the files in your project. Go through the menus until you find your view controller file and choose that file, and you will be able to see the storyboard and source code side by side.

Thank you SO MUCH