Spatial Video in AVPlayerController vs Photos app

Hi,

In the Destinations sample code project and related WWDC talk on spatial video, it seems to imply that the video player will show 3D stereoscopic videos.

However, in the Photos app there's a vignetting in the simulator (and marketing material) when viewing spatial video — a portal kind of effect.

Without access to a device I'm wondering if my spatial videos are actually being played as 3D spatial videos in the AVPlayerController, since I'm not seeing the vignetting.

I'm thinking that the vignetting is a photos specific visual effect, but wanted to double check to make sure I'm not misunderstanding something about AVPlayerController.

Does anyone know if spatial videos played through AVPlayerController will appear as stereoscopic, even if the vignetting isn't there? Has anyone tried the Destinations sample code to play spatial videos on a device to confirm?

thanks!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Gregory_w Down vote post of Gregory_w

Replies

Hello,

AVPlayerViewController (when docked in an ImmersiveSpace) will display in 3D if the content is in a supported format. When presented in-line in a window, it will not display in 3D, even if the content is in a supported format.

• Thanks – I gathered as much from the documentation. Reason for asking though was that the Photos app displays the vignetting around the spatial movies, whereas in the Destinations app code, for instance, when docked in an immersive space the videos are displayed in sharp rectangles.

Is this just a product-design of the Photos playback experience? (The vignetting?)

• Yes, the vignetting is something that Photos is doing, it is not part of AVPlayerViewController.

• Gotcha - thanks again for the reply!

Add a Comment

Is there a A"P"PlayerController? @gchiste