Passkey Provider Assertion Help

Hi all, I'm trying to create a passkey provider application and I can consistently register a passkey through 'prepareInterface(forPasskeyRegistration registrationRequest: ASCredentialRequest)' everywhere that accepts passkeys.

However, when I attempt to then use that passkey to sign in with 'provideCredentialWithoutUserInteraction(for credentialRequest: ASCredentialRequest)'

My code will work on some sites.. and not others. For instance: https://passkey.org/ and https://webauthn.io/ both work flawlessly.

But if I then try to do the same with Github, Uber, or Coinbase (really any application "in the wild") the assertion portion fails with a generic error like "This passkey can't be used anymore."

I've debugged every request and response object line by line and can't find a single difference between a site that works, and one that doesn't.. Does anyone know why this could be the case?

Here's my assertion code:

guard let request: ASPasskeyCredentialRequest = credentialRequest as? ASPasskeyCredentialRequest else { return }

// Following specs from here: https://www.w3.org/TR/webauthn/#sctn-signature-attestation-types
let hashedRp: [UInt8] = Array(SHA256.hash(data: Data(request.credentialIdentity.serviceIdentifier.identifier.data(using: .utf8) ?? Data([]))))

let flags:[UInt8] = [29] // 00011101 - only one that seems to work
let counter:[UInt8] = [0, 0, 0, 1] // just for testing, always the first for now until this works

let authData = hashedRp + flags + counter

let signature = try privateKey.signature( for: Data(authData + request.clientDataHash) )

let response: ASPasskeyAssertionCredential = ASPasskeyAssertionCredential(
         userHandle: Data(request.credentialIdentity.user.utf8),
         relyingParty: request.credentialIdentity.serviceIdentifier.identifier,
         signature: signature.derRepresentation,
         clientDataHash: request.clientDataHash,
         authenticatorData: Data(authData),
         credentialID: Data(credentialId.utf8)
)

extensionContext.completeAssertionRequest(using: response)

Any help would be very appreciated as I've been stuck on this for a while now.

Accepted Reply

It looks like you're passing the user (the user name) here instead of the userHandle. There are several similarly named fields in WebAuthn which can be confusing:

• userHandle: The "user handle" or "user id" is an opaque blob that serves as a record identifier to the website to identify this specific account. You can think of this like an account number. All passkeys for the same account will have the same userHandle.
  • userName: This is the user-visible string to identify that specific credential, which will be shown in the system UI. This is generally an email address. Note that ASPasskeyCredentialIdentity.user and ASPasskeyCredentialIdentity.userName are interchangeable.
  • credentialID: This is a unique identifier for that specific passkey. Different passkeys for the same account will have different credentialIDs.
  • WebAuthn also has a "display name" concept, which is supposed to represent an additional user-friendly string to identify the account holder, such as "Firstname Lastname". This is not currently supported on any of our platforms.
  • Thank you so much for the reply!

It does look like the test sites actually are not even checking for the userHandle at all as I can pass in a garbage string and it will still work (All the other fields will specifically fail if I mess them up). So this looks like the issue for sure.

What I'm still confused on though, is how do I get that "user Id"? In the passkeyRegistration the only information I have access to is the ASPasskeyCredentialRequest.credentialIdentity.user

• you need to cast the credentialIdentity to ASPasskeyCredentialIdentity then you'll see the userHandle. something like that: let credIdentity: ASPasskeyCredentialIdentity = request.credentialIdentity as! ASPasskeyCredentialIdentity let userHandle: Data = credIdentity.userHandle

• This is very helpful! It's tricky to find. I have a related question. How do we find other info such as attestationPreference through this interface? Is there a way to ASAuthorizationPublicKeyCredentialRegistrationRequest? I don't seem to see how we can achieve this through ASPasskeyCredentialRequest in prepareInterface(forPasskeyRegistration:) for iOS. A more broader question is: do we have access to the WebAuthn extensions in third-party passkey manager? Thanks!

Add a Comment

Replies

It looks like you're passing the user (the user name) here instead of the userHandle. There are several similarly named fields in WebAuthn which can be confusing:

• userHandle: The "user handle" or "user id" is an opaque blob that serves as a record identifier to the website to identify this specific account. You can think of this like an account number. All passkeys for the same account will have the same userHandle.
  • userName: This is the user-visible string to identify that specific credential, which will be shown in the system UI. This is generally an email address. Note that ASPasskeyCredentialIdentity.user and ASPasskeyCredentialIdentity.userName are interchangeable.
  • credentialID: This is a unique identifier for that specific passkey. Different passkeys for the same account will have different credentialIDs.
  • WebAuthn also has a "display name" concept, which is supposed to represent an additional user-friendly string to identify the account holder, such as "Firstname Lastname". This is not currently supported on any of our platforms.
  • Thank you so much for the reply!

It does look like the test sites actually are not even checking for the userHandle at all as I can pass in a garbage string and it will still work (All the other fields will specifically fail if I mess them up). So this looks like the issue for sure.

What I'm still confused on though, is how do I get that "user Id"? In the passkeyRegistration the only information I have access to is the ASPasskeyCredentialRequest.credentialIdentity.user

• you need to cast the credentialIdentity to ASPasskeyCredentialIdentity then you'll see the userHandle. something like that: let credIdentity: ASPasskeyCredentialIdentity = request.credentialIdentity as! ASPasskeyCredentialIdentity let userHandle: Data = credIdentity.userHandle

• This is very helpful! It's tricky to find. I have a related question. How do we find other info such as attestationPreference through this interface? Is there a way to ASAuthorizationPublicKeyCredentialRegistrationRequest? I don't seem to see how we can achieve this through ASPasskeyCredentialRequest in prepareInterface(forPasskeyRegistration:) for iOS. A more broader question is: do we have access to the WebAuthn extensions in third-party passkey manager? Thanks!

Add a Comment