Xcode 15 forcing app id prefix to be team id

I'm submitting an update to an app which was originally submitted in 2008. So, it has one of the "old" app id prefixes, not the Team ID prefix used by newer apps.

When I try to validate this app built in Xcode 15 in organizer, I get a warning that the app id prefix in the current store app is changing from the "old" prefix to the new Team ID prefix.

I didn't change anything. The App Identifier, Certificates, and Profile are the same that I used last June under Xcode 14.

So, there seems to be an issue with Xcode 15. Same issue under 15.0 and 15.2.

Anyone know a fix for this?

This still works fine in Xcode 14. If I can't come up with a fix, I'll just submit with 14 as that's still valid until April 2024 I think.

Regards, Patrick

Replies

Let’s start with a simple question: Do you need to use a unique App ID prefix?

These have long been deprecated and it’s best to avoid them if you can. There are many facilities, like shared keychain access groups, that you can’t use if you stick with your unique prefix. So, is it feasible for you to switch to your Team ID as the prefix?

IMPORTANT Changing the App ID prefix isn’t without consequences. The most common pitfall is the one discussed in App ID Prefix Change and Keychain Access.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

No, I don't think I need the unique identifier (it's a wildcard so I think it's the same across multiple apps).

Can you still do wildcards with Team ID's?

Can you still do wildcards with Team ID's?

Yes.

Using your Team ID as your App ID prefix is now the default. Moreover, for new folks, those who never used a unique App ID prefix, it’s the only option. There’s no way to create a new unique App ID prefix.

Assuming that there isn’t something that requires you to stick with the unique App ID prefix, my general advice is that you move away from it. That’ll make everything easier in the long term.

As to how you do that, TN2311 Managing Multiple App ID Prefixes has specific advice on that.

Share and Enjoy

I've run into an issue where I tried to create a new App ID wildcard using the Team ID. I got an error that the wildcard was not available.

Note that there were three other App ID's which appear to have been created by Xcode that use the same wildcard. Is this a duplicate issue? If so, I find it odd that the message didn't just say that.

In the end, I just picked one of the Xcode wildcards just to move forward. -Patrick

That sounds like a very different problem to the one that started this thread. I recommend you start your own thread with the details. Tag it with App ID so that I see it.

Share and Enjoy