Using iPadOS 17 / macOS 14 features in challenge submission

Hi! I just read the updated terms and conditions, and I have a question regarding the submission requirements:

Your app playground must be fully functioning, and be built with and run on Swift Playgrounds 4.4 on iPadOS 16 or macOS 13.5 or Xcode 15 on macOS 13.5 or later. You may incorporate the use of Apple Pencil.

This means that the app can be built on iPadOS 17 / macOS 14 as well (and perhaps add some features specific to iPadOS 17 / macOS 14 or later using features such as SwiftData?) but does the app need to be fully compatible with earlier versions as well?

I think this means it should be compatible with all versions from iPadOS 16 / macOS 13.5 onwards?

Accepted Reply

I think this means it should be compatible with all versions from iPadOS 16 / macOS 13.5 onwards?

I asked about this internally and a colleague pointed out a good way to confirm this requirement. When you go to submit your entry, the submission page contains this popup:

The text above is misleading. Sorry. See the update below.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Right, makes sense. Thanks!

• Hey, sorry for asking this again - if we need to make sure it runs on iOS 17, using Xcode 15 is the best way to go, right? They'll probably have the iOS 17 simulator there. I've set the target to iOS 17 already to skip checks, since half the apps functionality would be disabled on older versions.

Add a Comment

Replies

I asked about this internally and a colleague pointed out a good way to confirm this requirement. When you go to submit your entry, the submission page contains this popup:

The text above is misleading. Sorry. See the update below.

Share and Enjoy

• Right, makes sense. Thanks!

• Hey, sorry for asking this again - if we need to make sure it runs on iOS 17, using Xcode 15 is the best way to go, right? They'll probably have the iOS 17 simulator there. I've set the target to iOS 17 already to skip checks, since half the apps functionality would be disabled on older versions.

Add a Comment

I also think "it should be compatible with all versions from iPadOS 16 / macOS 13.5 onwards". So, I created it by setting the minimum iOS version to 16 in the playground settings.

• Great, thanks!

Add a Comment

Playgrounds may be built to target iOS 16/iPadOS 16 or later. This includes the use of iOS 17/iPadOS 17 only.

• All right, thanks for the clarification!

Add a Comment

For the latest info on this topic, see Swift Student Challenge deployment targets.

Share and Enjoy

• Thanks for the update!

Add a Comment