MacApp Store & Java support in 2024???

Hello,

It is year 2024. I am submitting application to MacOS App Store that uses Java JDK runtime (OpenJDK21).

During review process, the App Review team has referenced 2.4.5 https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#performance

here is the exact verbiage in guideline (viii) Apps should run on the currently shipping OS and may not use deprecated or optionally installed technologies (e.g. Java)

Can someone clarify --

1. Has Java use been entirely "deprecated" from App Store per guideline? Java is specifically mentioned as a deprecated technology (?).

2. What specific technologies are deprecated vs allowed?

3. To install and distribute the app , we include the Java runtime inside our app bundle. For a sandboxed app, only the sandbox boundary has access to the runtime. Why isn't this allowed?

4. Java apps were allowed into the store in past, with bundled JVM runtimes. Has policy changed?

Replies

I don’t work for App Review and thus can’t answer questions about their policy. You’ll have to discuss questions 1, 2, and 4 with them.

With regards 3, you wrote:

To install and distribute the app , we include the Java runtime inside our app bundle.

Yep. That’s pretty standard for a Java app on the Mac.

For a sandboxed app, only the sandbox boundary has access to the runtime. Why isn't this allowed?

I don’t understand this question. Are you asking a technical question about the behaviour of the sandbox? Or is this another policy question?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"