Xcode Playground - iOS-only target, and iOS 17-only features?

My app looks the best when it's run on an iPhone simulator, since that is what I was targeting from the start. I’m aware that an Xcode app playground submission will be run on MacOS in the Simulator only, but is there a way for me to limit/ask the Simulator to only use the iPhone?

I'm seeing a few posts on this forum giving the impression that submissions will primarily be run on either the iPad, or Swift Playgrounds on Mac.

Furthermore, my app depends a lot on some of the new iOS 17 features (SwiftData, @Observable macros, etc.)

I followed this thread to modify my Package.swift file to target iOS 17 and above only. Is this still a good idea, or should I instead wrap the whole app in a if #available version check?

Replies

I don't think it's a good idea, as the rules specify iPadOS 16 or later. I think your app must work on iPadOS 16 as well. Check this thread.

Perhaps you could add extra features to iPadOS 17 devices using the other solutions presented in the thread you mentioned. I sent the response on the thread you mentioned before the full terms & conditions were published.

• Ignore what I previously said, check the other comments :)

Add a Comment

Playgrounds may be built to target iOS 16/iPadOS 16 or later. This includes the use of iOS 17/iPadOS 17 only.

For the latest info on this topic, see Swift Student Challenge deployment targets.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"