Use front camera with background application

Hello Community,

I plan an app to correct a specific child's behavior.

For this to work, the app needs to run in the background and will be triggered to use the front camera when a pre-defined app is on screen (YouTube as an example). Snap photos will be taken for image processing before their deletion every few seconds. When the specific behavior is found, the app will take down the device volume (and put it back when "fixed"). The user photos/data are deleted and nothing is sent, saved, or shared.

My main concern is that the app is always in the background and using the camera frequently. I'm unsure if that is possible/allowed, and if so, how stable will it be. But most importantly, I do not want this code activity to be found suspicious when uploading the app to the store.

Hope this is clear.

I would appreciate an advice.

Thanks, Avi

Accepted Reply

Hello @avihaybi,

You didn't mention what platform you are planning to build this app for, is this an iOS app?

If so, camera usage is prohibited while in the background.

Replies

Hello @avihaybi,

You didn't mention what platform you are planning to build this app for, is this an iOS app?

If so, camera usage is prohibited while in the background.

Yes, my question is regarding iOS. Thank you very much for the answer and the direct link. On Android I was told there shouldn't be any technical issues, just need to have an explicit declaration for the user in the privacy notice.