External Distributing to Steam

Hi,

I am trying to export my game app to Steam, and trying to understand the external distribution using Developer ID Application.

Even when using the Account Holder account (because I cannot get a private key for Developer ID Application otherwise), I am unable to use a Provisioning Profile. It allows me to archive and distribute anyways. But once the app is sent for notarization, I never hear back from Apple.

Can anyone help explain this process? I've scoured the web looking for clear instructions but it's eluding me. I had read that notarization is quick, but I don't get anything back, not even an error or rejection.

Thanks

Replies

I am trying to export my game app to Steam

Are you using Xcode?

I am unable to use a Provisioning Profile.

What does that mean? You’re unable to create a profile? Or you’re unable to use it once you’ve created it?

Just FYI, provisioning profiles aren’t always required on macOS. A macOS app only needs a profile if it uses restricted entitlements. I talked about this in some detail in TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles.

But once the app is sent for notarization, I never hear back from Apple.

If this is the first time you’ve tried to notarise something, this delay is likely to be an issue on the Apple side. My advice is that you wait a couple of days to see if it fixes itself.

Can anyone help explain this process?

There are a lot of useful resources linked to by the Code Signing Resources page.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"