Clarification on Swift Student Challenge 2024

I'm looking through all the latest posts to clarify a doubt I have, I noticed @eskimo's response claiming that the app must be built and run on iPadOS 16 or later. So I suppose it's okay to create an app that has SwiftData as the framework even if that dictates that the app will run on iOS 17; Also because when you create a new project in Swift Playgrounds 4.4.1 (latest version available at the moment) the target is set to iOS 17.2 automatically and technically you can't edit Package.swift file manually.

Thanks in advance ❤️

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of aboutzeph Down vote post of aboutzeph

Replies

Playgrounds may be built to target iOS 16/iPadOS 16 or later. This includes the use of iOS 17/iPadOS 17 only.

• So I can't use SwiftData since it won't work on iOS 16, right? Also do I need to change Package.swift and set the iOS version to 16.0 or can I leave it as it is set to iOS 17.2?

• @aboutzeph "This includes the use of iOS 17/iPadOS 17 only. " This leads me to believe that making an iOS 17-only Playground should be fine.

Also, I mentioned editing the Package.swift file in previous threads since you can't currently modify the minimum target version in Xcode. You are right, I also recently noticed that this is possible in the Swift Playgrounds app.

• @CMDdev Exactly I think the same thing, but I hope that @aivanovski or an apple moderator will respond to be sure of this thing. I kindly ask only for a clear and concise answer 'yes you can target iOS 17 as minimum' or 'no you can’t'.

For the latest info on this topic, see Swift Student Challenge deployment targets.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"