Swift Student Challenge 2024 deployment targets

The eagle-eyed amongst you might have noticed a recent change to the information about deployment targets in the Swift Student Challenge fine print. Here’s a short FAQ about that. If you have any follow-up questions, post them below and I’ll answer them there.

Can I use iPadOS 17 APIs in my submission?

Yes. We expect to review your submission on the latest public release of iPadOS.

Does that include APIs introduced in a dot release?

Yes.

Right now the latest public release of iPadOS is iPadOS 17.3.1. If your submission relies on an API introduced in, say, iPadOS 17.2, that’s absolutely fine.

My iPad doesn’t support iPadOS 17. Can I ask for a review on iPadOS 16?

iPadOS 17 is generally compatible with iPadOS 16. If we notice problems with your submission on iPadOS 17, we’ll retest it on the latest public release of iPadOS 16.

What about macOS?

It’s basically the same story. So, if your submission targets macOS, we expect to review it on the latest public release.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of eskimo Down vote post of eskimo
Add a Comment

Replies

Hi! I built my playground using Xcode, targeting iOS. For my submission, can I specify my target os? Or should I be targeting iPadOS? On iPadOS it looks different than iOS because I am using NavigationStack instead of NavigationSplitStack.

Thanks.

If my playground was built using Xcode (and it's of course a .swiftpm file), can I submit it to be tested on Swift Playgrounds on iPadOS? or does using Xcode force it to be used on macOS?

g-codes wrote:

On iPadOS it looks different than iOS because I am using NavigationStack instead of NavigationSplitStack.

My advice is that you make your code work well on both platforms.

andrea-c-dev wrote:

If my playground was built using Xcode (and it's of course a .swiftpm file), can I submit it to be tested on Swift Playgrounds on iPadOS? or does using Xcode force it to be used on macOS?

If you create .swiftpm, it should work in both Xcode and in Swift Playgrounds on both macOS and iPadOS. When you submit you get to choose the target environment. I recommend that you choose one that you’ve actually test on.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"