Using camera on app playground submission

Hello!

I have a question about using the camera in my app.

I created it using Xcode 15 app playground, and it is working properly on iPhone and iPad, the problem is that in the application form, it says that the playground app created in Xcode will be tested in the simulator.

But as we know, the camera does not work in the simulator.

My app uses AR resources and I need to use the camera, how can I proceed?

Can I ask them to test it on a real device?

Replies

I don't know much about the Swift Student Challenge but what happens if you run your app in the Simulator? Does it present a message saying that the app requires a device with a camera in order to function?

• Hey!

Unfortunately, no. The screen just goes black, with no message of any kind...

Add a Comment

does it work on swift playgrounds app?

• Hello!

I can't test it on the swift playground on my mac because I can't use the camera...

Also, I don't have access to an iPad to test the playgrounds app.

Add a Comment

From what I know, if you want them to test your application using the camera, you should choose the iPad Camera in your code and select Swift Playgrounds on iPad as your platform for them to test

I know the deadline just passed, but I hope you’ll find this helpful. Good luck with your submission!

The camera features (not taking AR into consideration), as you already know, do not work in the simulator app, but if you choose the My Mac (Mac Catalyst) run destination in Xcode, they should work fine. It should also work fine in Swift Playgrounds.

However, since you made an AR app, I think the best option would’ve been Swift Playgrounds on iPad, as some AR features don’t work on Mac. It depends on what AR features are used by your app.

As for the test device, I am not sure - I believe the app should work without any extra device.