Scrolling with Full Keyboard Access

I'm testing Full Keyboard Access in my app and on the iPhone apps in my iPhone 12 mini with OS 17. My work will directly impact how much accessibility review is done on our iOS app which has millions of unique views a month.

In several Apple apps I cannot seem to scroll down through the screen when the main View has focus.

For example,

• the Home app does not scroll with arrow keys nor Ctrl+tab through any of the 6 main content groups on the Discover screen. it almost appears it's a single static image; the "Getting Started" button is not able to be activated. I can activate sections further down when I enable gestures, but cannot pinpoint a specific location.

• The Stocks app includes Top Stories from the Apple News app; in either app I can select a story, which brings up the article on full screen, but then I cannot use the arrow keys or Ctrl+tab to read the article or interact with inline links. Ctrl + tab selects the button features like to watch an embedded video or live coverage, then jumps down to the end of the article to focus on Related stories, ignoring all the links in between.

I am able to somewhat move through the article text with keyboard gestures, but many of these articles have embedded links or content after the article (before "Related Stories"

I work in digital accessibility and need to be able to tell my teams what is expected behavior and where to see examples of this. If Apple can't demonstrate Full Keyboard Access in its own apps this is a problem.

Our own app has some of these issues but I am unsure how to recommend a solution when the scrollview seems to not work in native iOS apps by Apple.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of jsponger Down vote post of jsponger

Replies

Thanks for writing about your experience using FKA, even if it's not behaving exactly correct for every use case. We are aware of the issues you have brought up but I encourage you to spend a few extra minutes to file a bug report using the Feedback Assistant tool. This is a great place to include code samples, screen recordings, system diagnostic logs, etc because all of these will have details which are crucial to helping us understand your use case and we can cover all our bases. https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

If you've already filed a report using the Feedback Assistant, please reply with the Feedback ID and I can make sure it's related in our tracking system. Even if we don't have a reply, it doesn't mean we aren't looking at it!