XCode 15.3 Command CompileAssetCatalog failed with a nonzero exit code

I just upgraded to XCode15.3 and now all my projects with Assets are getting this compile error. I have tried removing DerivedData caches and rebooting but still get this error. Anyone else hit this problem with XCode 15.3? I was only Building for IOS 16.4 and 17.0.1 and Xcode 14.0 and 15.0 Build Error: Command CompileAssetCatalog failed with a nonzero exit code *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'IBPlatformToolFailureException', reason: 'The tool closed the connection (AssetCatalogSimulatorAgent) Execution Context: <IBSimulatorToolCoreSimulatorCLIExecutionContext: 0x600003d5d260 busyCount=0, Idle for 0.0 secs, lifeTime=26.3 secs>, device=IBSimDeviceTypeiPad3x (865E7291-E467-4E8D-B535-D64F43A57F15, iOS 17.4, Shutdown), idiom=<IBIPhoneIdiom: 0x6000028b8000>

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Scorpius Down vote post of Scorpius
2.9k views

Replies

After some more testing XCode seems to be gagging on my SVG files now, SVGs had been working well up to 15.3!

Same here. Svg files in asset folder are not building anymore. I've seen this exact same problem occur in a not so distant past, such as here : https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/731118?answerId=760613022#760613022

So Apple, i've got an idea : maybe people developping Xcode could start adding some god damn unit tests ? Screwing up the build of professional iOS developers that have no choice but use your tool is not ok !

• It seems that the problem in my case comes from when the svg has a filter tag with a width or height > 100% and unit "objectBoundingBox". (the filter was a gaussianblur)

• actually the gaussianblur filter crash, no need for a width or height > 100%

Add a Comment

Same here. But for me, removing the SVG files from our asset catalogs doesn't help. This is preventing us from moving to Xcode 15.3.

I had the same ('IBPlatformToolFailureException', reason: 'The tool closed the connection (AssetCatalogSimulatorAgent)).

The cause was an SVG I had created in Sketch. It was a simple shape with a fill and an inner shadow.

I removed the inner shadow, re-exported the SVG, and re-added the SVG to my asset catalog, and the app now builds.

As @benjamin_g mentioned, other effects (gaussian filter) in SVGs might trigger this build error as well.

• Upon looking at the SVG file in question, I realized that the inner shadow was actually implemented as a gaussian blur :)

Add a Comment

I have in my projects a lot of .svg icons so is there any other (quicker)solution for fix this error? If i need to fix one by one it will takes me a lot of time :/ or hopefully Apple will release 15.3.1 version where this is fixed

Same here. Worked with Xcode 15.3 beta 2, but not with Xcode 15.3.

The issue is still present in Xcode 15.4 beta 1, more than a month later. I guess, we cannot expect a fix from Apple in a reasonable timeframe and would have to recreate the asset, despite it working perfectly fine for years.

I just upgraded to Xcode 15.3 and have the same problem. Now my project won't build. How do I find which icon is the issue? The error message isn't pointing to which one/s

Have been having the exact same issue, but mine was building fine with 15.3, the update to 15.4 broke it. Came to the same conclusion that it was the .svg image causing it to crash but shocked at how specifically it is that it's an svg with gaussian blur (which mine also has). Kind of bummed and hope this is fixed soon since mine can't just be recreated, the whole point of the asset is that it's a 'glow' image, so the blur is necessary. At least now I know what it is and can continue developing.