M2 - Upgrade from Xcode 15.2 to 15.3, can no longer run on simulator

I am working on an Apple M2 Pro, MacOS Sonoma 14.3.1.

Today Xcode automatically updated from 15.2 to 15.3 and downloaded the new 17.4 simulators and runtime tools. I can no longer run my apps in simulator.

On Xcode 15.2, there was an option to choose the destination architecture, under Product -> Destination -> Destination Architectures -> Rosetta (the one I have ben required to select in order to run apps for the last few versions).

On Xcode 15.3, the option to chose the destination architecture is now missing.

I am still able to build successfully to my phone directly.

I am unable to build to a simulator, I get the same error for regarding a linker error failure.

I have tried:

• reboot laptop
  • delete information stored in derived data
  • delete local Podfile.lock
  • delete Pods folder
  • pod install
  • reopen xcode
  • run on device - works!
  • run on 17.2 simulator - fails with error
  • run on 17.4 simulator - fails with error

Our Podfile looks like this:

require_relative '../node_modules/@react-native-community/cli-platform-ios/native_modules'
require_relative '../node_modules/react-native-permissions/scripts/setup'

platform :ios, '13.4'
prepare_react_native_project!
setup_permissions([
  'AppTrackingTransparency',
  'Camera',
  'LocationAlways',
  'LocationWhenInUse',
  'Notifications',
])

target 'myapp' do
  config = use_native_modules!
  # @react-native-firebase/app requirement:
  use_frameworks! :linkage => :static
  $RNFirebaseAsStaticFramework = true

use_react_native!(
    :path => config[:reactNativePath],
    # to enable hermes on iOS, change `false` to `true` and then install pods
    :hermes_enabled => false
  )

# Pods for GoogleMaps on iOS
  rn_maps_path = '../node_modules/react-native-maps'
  pod 'react-native-google-maps', :path => "#{rn_maps_path}"

pod 'react-native-camera', path: '../node_modules/react-native-camera', subspecs: [
    'BarcodeDetectorMLKit'
  ]

pod 'RNSquareInAppPayments', :path => '../node_modules/react-native-square-in-app-payments'

target 'myappTests' do
    inherit! :complete
    # Pods for testing
  end

# Enables Flipper.
  #
  # Note that if you have use_frameworks! enabled, Flipper will not work and
  # you should disable the next line.
  # use_flipper!("Flipper-DoubleConversion" => "1.1.7") #avoid duplicate symbols for architecture x86_64 for Folly

post_install do |installer|
    react_native_post_install(installer)
    installer.pods_project.targets.each do |target|
      if target.name == "RCT-Folly"
        target.build_configurations.each do |config|
          config.build_settings['GCC_PREPROCESSOR_DEFINITIONS'] ||= ['$(inherited)', 'FOLLY_HAVE_CLOCK_GETTIME=1']
        end
      end
    end
  end
end

I'm open to additional suggestions, at this point, I can't see a way to tell xcode that we need the other build option (like specifying Rosetta which I used to be able to do). Also, if anyone can help me understand why it is doing this, I'm busy on Google, but not finding what I'm looking for, so I wonder if I'm looking for the right things.

Thanks so much!

Error:

Accepted Reply

Same is happening to me... unfortunately the laptop I'm using automatically updated and took me a while to get it running. Just select in PRODUCT > DESTINATIONS> SHOW ALL RUN DESTINATIONS and the ROSETTA simulators will appear :)

• Thanks, it works!

• Ah! I thought I had clicked this earlier - but maybe it was before I cleared everything out. Thanks @UYFelipe! This works!

• Does it mean it is no longer possible to show Rosetta Simulators only? I don't need the clutter of both...

Replies

Try moving to Swift Package Manager. If you look carefully, you will see there is also a Rossetta sim for every other sim defined. Try changing 13.2 in the podspec to 17.4 and see what happens.

• I should have included this in the description, my apologies - I am using react-native, so I cannot move to swift package manager just yet (it isn't supported). The 13.4 in the podfile is for the minimum version we accept, we are building to 17.4.

Add a Comment

Same is happening to me... unfortunately the laptop I'm using automatically updated and took me a while to get it running. Just select in PRODUCT > DESTINATIONS> SHOW ALL RUN DESTINATIONS and the ROSETTA simulators will appear :)

• Thanks, it works!

• Ah! I thought I had clicked this earlier - but maybe it was before I cleared everything out. Thanks @UYFelipe! This works!

• Does it mean it is no longer possible to show Rosetta Simulators only? I don't need the clutter of both...