Instruments in Xcode 15.3 not showing symbols

When using Instruments in Xcode 15.3 on macOS Sonoma 14.3.1 symbols from system frameworks are not displaying. I've tried creating a template "App" project and running it on the iOS 17.4 simulator without any code changes and still am not seeing symbols so I can be sure it's not unique to my real-world project build settings.

If I install Xcode 15.0 and run the same build in the same 17.4 simulator using Instruments 15.0 it shows thread names and symbols for UIKit and other frameworks but is still missing SwiftUI symbols.

Instruments 15.3

Instruments 15.0

I've spent 2 days trying to narrow down why I couldn't debug my app and even deleted all my partitions and reinstalled macOS which didn't fix the issue.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of cameron2000 Down vote post of cameron2000

Replies

Did you find a workaround for this?

No unfortunately not, I think it's an issue of the Simulators which are where the frameworks are located missing the symbols or Instruments not indexing them. When debugging on device it's fine, though I still don't see SwiftUI symbols.

I able to see macOS symbols from Instruments 15.3 but my symbols from iPhone sim are gone.

I am also missing many (not all) symbols using the Simulator (Xcode 15.3, iPadOS 17.4 simulator, MacOS 14.4.1). But when I use a physical iPad, I have all symbols.

• the same in xcode 15.3

Add a Comment

I also got missing symbols in the Windowed (Last 5 seconds) recording mode in Xcode 15.3 with an iPhone 14 pro (iOS 16.7.2).

Everything works fine with the Deferred recording mode (File > Recording Options... > Recording Mode, in Global Options at the bottom).

The same project works fine with both recording modes in Xcode 14.

Also confirmed this behaviour with a project created from the unmodified "Game" Xcode template.

• Same thing after the phone update to 17.4.1

Add a Comment