The base messages extension template builds but won't install or load

I am on a fresh install of Xcode 15.3 on macOS 14.4 (23E214). I created an iMessage App template and signed it with my personal team's certificate. When I click the run button, it successfully builds and opens the simulator to the Messages app but does not open the compact extension view (or install the extension such that it shows up in the More messages extension list). This reproduces on my older laptop (same version of Xcode) as well as my friend's (also same version of Xcode).

Of note:

• The IceCreamBuilder app installs and runs correctly with no modifications
  • I have not provided any icons for the messages extension
  • The iMessage App template comes with an empty main app that does not install on the home screen

The only console output that seems to differ from when I run the IceCreamBuilder is this message, which appears after a couple seconds of running the project:

unhandled process MobileSMS
Type: Error | Timestamp: 2024-03-09 00:41:07.763631-05:00 | Process: MobileSMS | Library: CoreParsec | Subsystem: com.apple.parsec | Category: CoreParsec | TID: 0xff097

Replies

My friend figured out a fix:

1. Create a new scheme for the base app (not the extension)
  2. Build and run that scheme (it'll show an error dialog and not do anything)
  3. You should now be able to run the extension as expected

This seems like an actual bug with the project template so I'd be happy to elevate this ticket if possible.

• oh thank you, that was driving me a bit wacky. Yes, this seems like a bug, I'm not sure where it lies.

Add a Comment

It seems like changes to the extension won't be propagated to the test device/simulator unless you rerun the main app target. I figure this means the MessagesExtension scheme is bugged?

• Yikes, it seems you're right. Every time one makes a change to the extension, the main app target needs to be built and run. This greatly slows down development time.

Add a Comment