How to encode MV-HEVC spatial videos using HLS tool correctly?

Hi all, I am a graduate student who is looking into making MV-HEVC videos streamable. May I ask that is it possible to encode mv-hevc videos with the HLS (Http Live Streaming) protocol? I've been trying to use the HLS tool by Apple to encode a spatial video recored by VP.

mediafilesegmenter -iso-fragmented -t 4 -f sp_video-1-vp spatial-video-by-vp.MOV

But the output HLS playlist file doesn't look like the format that Apple proposes in the WWDC video. For example, the attribute EXT-X-VERSION is 7 instead of 12, and no attr REQ-VIDEO-LAYOUT=CH-STEREO which should be the key indicator of the spatial video type.

From what the WWDC video showcased, I assume Apple's HLS tool supports it. Maybe my usage is not correct. Just curious what you guys think about it, thank you!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of brrruski Down vote post of brrruski

Replies

Yes, the tools should work with MV-HEVC content. Are you running a correct version? It should be version 1.22 to get that behavior.

• Yes, I am using v1.22.4. Could you please show me an example command via mediafilesegmenter that can convert a spatial video recored by iphone 15 pro to valid HLS chunks? Thanks!

Add a Comment