With OS X Sonoma 14.4 update there is no rights to relaunch coreaudiod

Some of installers which we have suddenly become broken for users running the latest version of OS X, I found that the reason was that we install Core Audio HAL driver and because I wanted to avoid system reboot I relaunched coreaudio daemon via from a pkg post-install script.

sudo launchctl kickstart -kp system/com.apple.audio.coreaudiod

So with the OS update the command fails, if a computer has SIP enabled (what is the default).

sudo launchctl kickstart -kp system/com.apple.audio.coreaudiod
Password:
Could not kickstart service "com.apple.audio.coreaudiod": 1: Operation not permitted

It would be super nice if either the change can be:

• reverted OR
  • I and similar people to know a workaround of how to hot-plug (and unplug) such a HAL driver.

Accepted Reply

Replies

I'm just curious what is the real motivation to disable the old way, i.e. how exactly it affect security ?

I provide macOS application and installer with core audio plugin driver. If installer cannot restart coreaudiod, installer ask user to reboot macOS. That is big change on my application.

• that link to release notes explains what to do: issue sudo killall coreaudiod, the entire coreaudiod daemon will be killed and a new instance automatically launched. I'm super curious why this is more secure than the old method but there is no any known answer to me yet.

Add a Comment

Thanks. "sudo killall coreaudiod" worked without permission error on my M1 Sonoma 14.4.1. I am not sure why kickstart is prevented and killall is allowed.