"Document storage" in privacy settings

Does anybody know what the "Document Storage" entry in the Privacy settings for an app means?

I recently discovered that the Privacy Settings of my own app nowadays has a "Document Storage" entry, with (for me) the possible choices: "iCloud Drive", "On My Phone", and "Dropbox". I don't know with which version of iOS these appeared.

When "iCloud Drive" is selected (the default), then the explanatory text below it says "Automatically upload and store your documents in iCloud Drive"

My app has no explicit support for iCloud Drive or iCloud in general, and no support for Dropbox. Some of its files are stored in the Documents folder of the app, which is publicly accessible (through the Files app, e.g.) My users assume that enabling the option will automatically copy those files to iCloud Drive, but that does not seem to be happening.

I have searched half a day for any documentation around this from Apple, but found nothing.

So: does anybody know what that setting does?

And: if it does not do anything, then how can I can make sure it does NOT appear, to not confuse my users?