App Sandbox entitlement stripped from dext by Xcode?

I have a macOS app which contains a dext. I'd like to distribute it to external testers using TestFlight, so it has to pass Mac App Store review. It failed, because the App Sandbox entitlement was missing.

I checked the app, it has the entitlement, but the dext does not. However, the .entitlements file used by the dext does contain App Sandbox set to true.

I tried adding a "fake-entitlement" value to the .entitlements file, and that made it into the dext's code signature, but the App Sandbox entitlement appears to be stripped out by the build process?

For a dext target, it isn't possible to add the App Sandbox capability in Xcode's Signing and Capability section. I have to add the entitlement manually in the .entitlement file (or it was put there by the Xcode driver template, I don't remember).

I've tried clean building several times, I've tried Xcode 15.0.1, 15.2 and 15.3, but the result is always the same. I'm inspecting the entitlements using codesign -dvvv --entitlements - <path-to-dext>

Does anyone know what I can do to put the App Sandbox entitlement into my dext's signature? Is this happening to anyone else?

• I filed a bug with a minimal macOS project with a DriverKit dext which exhibits this same behavior, FB13688443

Add a Comment