Can Apple Facial ID be used for verifying other people.

Trying to develop a feature that can help verify a person's identity is matched with their Apple account.

For example:

I want to use my Apple device to scan some other people's faces using Apple facial ID to confirm the people who face me in real life are matched with the Apple account holders who talk to me online.

Here asking if it is possible on a firmware or code level? as well as if is it against the TOS?

Replies

Can Apple [Face] ID be used for verifying other people.

No. Face ID is only set up for authenticating the device’s owner.

It’s possible that you could implement something similar to this yourself using the features of the forward-facing camera. Before I send you down that path, however, I’d like to clarify this:

I want to use my Apple device to scan some other people's faces using Apple facial ID to confirm the people who face me in real life are matched with the Apple account holders who talk to me online.

How do you anticipate that working? Are you expecting to correlate your face scan with the face scan that Apple holds for a device Apple ID? Because, if so, that’s not going to work. In the Face ID architecture, face scan data never leaves the user’s device.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"