How to run a background task on keyboard extension to communicate with a MFi device?

I'm working on a app that can communicate, send and receive data from our own MFi scanner.

Ideally, this app can receives data and remains communication even when it's in background, but I can only runs a background task for maximum 30 sec.

Along with this main app, we also have a keyboard extension as an interface that can publish collected data to other app that user prefers with string format.

However, It seems like Apple doesn't allow to implement UIApplication.shared.beginBackgroundTask method in extension class, is there any alternative that worth to try?

Also, can I extend app background task time elapsed to at least 30 minutes?

If I can get an official response would be great!

Accepted Reply

To be clear, DevForums is not an official support channel [1]. If you need that, you should open a tech support incident, either with DTS or via the MFi program.

You have two specific questions. The first is:

It seems like Apple doesn't allow to implement UIApplication.shared.beginBackgroundTask method in extension class, is there any alternative that worth to try?

Yes. App extensions can use ProcessInfo for this. My UIApplication Background Task Notes post has links to docs and so on.

No. I talk about this is in both UIApplication Background Task Notes and iOS Background Execution Limits.

There may be some cunning way to get around this limit using EA stuff, but I don’t have any suggestions on that front. It’s not a technology that I support.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] Although, if a DevForums post links to documentation, that’s probably as official as you’re going to get.

• Big thanks! Seems like I missed your post when studying related materials, I'll look into it, also mark your replay as accepted answer.

Add a Comment

Replies

To be clear, DevForums is not an official support channel [1]. If you need that, you should open a tech support incident, either with DTS or via the MFi program.

You have two specific questions. The first is:

It seems like Apple doesn't allow to implement UIApplication.shared.beginBackgroundTask method in extension class, is there any alternative that worth to try?

Yes. App extensions can use ProcessInfo for this. My UIApplication Background Task Notes post has links to docs and so on.

No. I talk about this is in both UIApplication Background Task Notes and iOS Background Execution Limits.

There may be some cunning way to get around this limit using EA stuff, but I don’t have any suggestions on that front. It’s not a technology that I support.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] Although, if a DevForums post links to documentation, that’s probably as official as you’re going to get.

• Big thanks! Seems like I missed your post when studying related materials, I'll look into it, also mark your replay as accepted answer.

Add a Comment