Multipeer Connectivity Framework Capabilities and Permission Requirements

Hello, In this inquiry(https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/747860), I came across this conclusion.

“Apple disabled TCP/IP networking over Bluetooth completely. Apple’s peer-to-peer networking APIs now run exclusively over Wi-Fi."

I have three questions I would like to ask.

1. The Multipeer Connectivity Framework supports Wi-Fi networks, peer-to-peer Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth personal area networks. Since the framework abstracts away the underlying protocols, we cannot specify which protocol to choose. Can this framework still establish a pure Bluetooth connection now? (Not just using Bluetooth for the discovery phase).
  2. Given that the framework supports Bluetooth protocols, why does it not require Bluetooth permissions but only local network permissions?
  3. Does the Bluetooth protocol supported by the framework have the capability to discover traditional Bluetooth devices and services that the Core Bluetooth framework can discover?

Replies

1. … Can this framework still establish a pure Bluetooth connection now?

No.

Multipeer Connectivity accesses peer-to-peer networking through Bonjour. The system’s Bonjour support no longer works over Bluetooth. Thus, Multipeer Connectivity no longer works over Bluetooth.

2. …

3. …

My response to question 1 obviates these questions.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"