Generic Xcode Archive issue

I'm trying to notarize an Objective-C app I've written in Xcode 15. However, when I archive the app, it is listed as a "Generic Xcode Archive" instead of an "app archive", so it can't be validated/distributed.

I've tried following all the steps in this article: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/technotes/tn3110-resolving-generic-xcode-archive-issue

My skip_install is set to NO. My app's dependencies don't show up under "Targets" so I couldn't check the skip_install setting for them. My linked libraries don't use a headers build phase. My install_path is set to $(LOCAL_APPS_DIR).

Why am I not getting an "app archive"?

Replies

Why am I not getting an "app archive"?

This is almost certainly because something unexpected is still lurking in your Xcode archive. Try this:

1. In the Xcode organiser, select your archive.

2. Secondary click and choose Show in Finder.

3. In the Finder, secondary and click Show Package Contents.

4. Look through the Products directory for stuff that should be there. For Xcode to treat your archive as an app, the archive should contain just a single item: Products/Applications/YourApp.app.

Make sure to look for invisible. In Finder, press command-shift-. (dot) to show invisibles. Or do this exploration in Terminal.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• This (see screenshot below) is what I see after clicking Show Package Contents and looking for invisibles. The Products directory looks fine; are the dSYMs and Info.plist not supposed to be there?

Add a Comment

show package contents:

It looks like you're trying to archive a plug-in, not an app. That's why you can't make an app archive. If you need to notarize it, you won't be able to do it using Xcode, you will need to use a more manual approach. See: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_macos_software_before_distribution/customizing_the_notarization_workflow?language=objc

• Oh okay. I had initially tried using notarytool with no success (my submissions timed out), but I will try again.

Add a Comment

While “Customizing the notarization workflow” will be useful, it relies on you having a notarisation-ready product. To get that, follow the process in:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"