A user is unable to download content in app

I have an app with IAP which uses a URLSession object to download files from a server. The download part of the code is:

let request = URLRequest(url: fromURL, cachePolicy: .reloadIgnoringLocalCacheData, timeoutInterval: timeoutInterval)
		let (data, response) = try await downloadSession.data(for: request)

This code has been working without trouble for over a year with thousands of downloads.

Now I have a user with a new iPhone (iOS 17.3.1) which refuses to download, failing at the above code (judging by the high level logs).

My question is this: What sort of things should we be looking at in order to diagnose this issue?

So far we have done the following:

1. He has no general download issue (eg Safari works fine)
  2. His network access is 'normal' and the problem persists when the network is changed (4G, wifi etc)
  3. He runs a VPN (Nord) but the problem persists when this is off
  4. He has no 3rd party AV software
  5. His phone is not in lockdown mode

Any pointers would be appreciated! NB I have no physical access to his device (yet!)

Replies

There’s not enough info to provide any insight here. We don’t, for example, know whether it’s a networking problem reading the data or a file system problem writing it.

If you can get a sysdiagnose log from the user, that should give you some insight. It’s best if you combine that log with extra system log points in your app. I explain this idea in Using a Sysdiagnose Log to Debug a Hard-to-Reproduce Problem.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thank you Quinn, that's a helpful way forward

Bill