NSUpdateSecurityPolicy don't work

I have two apps written in MAUI Mac Catalyst Framework -- one is main app, second is app updater. My updater works this way: it is located in the same directory as main app: firstly it deletes MainApp.app/Contents folder, then unzips new Contents folder that was downloaded from server.

I added NSUpdateSecurityPolicy dictionary as in https://developer.apple.com/documentation/bundleresources/information_property_list/nsupdatesecuritypolicy and create application like . It looks that I wrote everything fine

pkgbuild --install-location '/Library/Application Support/First' --root root --ownership preserve # aslo signing, etc

But on user's macOS, system does not allow to delete Contents folder: I have IO_Access denied exception. Can it be because main app is sandboxing or something else?

What I can do wrong? Thanks a lot in advance!

Accepted Reply

I figured it out, customer used older version of app, thanks

Replies

I figured it out, customer used older version of app, thanks

I’m glad to hear you got it working but this seems weird:

firstly it deletes MainApp.app/Contents

Is there a reason you don’t delete the top-level item, that is, MainApp.app? That has a couple of benefits:

• It avoids the need to mess around inside a bundle, which is what triggered this problem.

• It means that the target app is always in a consistent state. If your updater fails halfway through, the user will be left with either the old app or the new app, not something in between.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"